Feel free to visit the old version of the site for old time's sake:
Showing posts 1 - 3 of 25. View more »
- November 8 (Saturday) 10am-4pm Do it Again Art Market
- November 29 (Saturday) Christmas parade and tree lighting
I hope everyone is doing well. Here is what’s happening in the VRA this month:
ANNUAL MEETING RECAP
-A motion to amend the By-Laws was tabled at the annual meeting on October 22 and will be discussed in more detail at a future meeting to be determined. There is no official meeting in December because of the Progressive Dinner.
-The slate for the current executive board to retain their positions for another year was approved. This includes myself as President, Joe Singler as Vice President, Todd Rech as Treasurer and Sally Zelonis as Secretary. The board and I thank you for your continued faith in us and in allowing us to serve the VRA for another year.
ANNOUNCING A HOLIDAY WINDOW /DOOR DECORATING CONTEST
Sally Zelonis has worked with the Chamber of Commerce to initiate a door/window decorating contest for the holiday season. Local merchants enthusiastically supported the idea and I hope the village residents will participate with as much gusto. More details to follow. Thanks Sally.
PROGRESSIVE DINNER INVITES SOON TO GO OUT
The progressive dinner returns December 6. Please watch for an electronic invitation in early November and RSVP quickly as there will be limited availability again this year. Please join me in thanking Kathy Scales-Brown for all of her hard work in putting this together.
NO HOLIDAY TREE PROJECT THIS YEAR
Unfortunately, we did not receive enough orders for trees prior to October 26 and we will not be selling and setting trees in yards this year. Thanks to Jane Forbes for her efforts. Jane will reach out to those that pre-ordered to ensure refunds. We plan on trying again next year.
LEAF PICKUP IN THE VILLAGE
Leaf pickup continues each Monday through November. Rake leaves into long narrow piles along the curb. Please do not place sticks or other non-leaf items into piles and park cars off the street if possible so that the leaf vacuum can move more quickly throughout the Village.
"It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
"It's the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle-belling
And everyone telling you
Be of good cheer
It's the most wonderful time of the year
It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those holiday greetings
And great happy meetings
When friends come to call
It's the hap-happiest season of all
There'll be parties for hosting" . . . like the VRA Progressive Dinner . . . and I'm already counting the days. It's my most favorite Christmas event in the Village. I don't care if it's snowing like crazy as it was the year we visited Jeff and Penny Edmondson's for the dinner hour or the year it was 70 degrees as we sat outside around a fire at Bob and Anne Royalty's eating dessert. I just love walking from home to home with friends, neighbors and family. I love it even more when someone bravely starts singing Christmas carols and the rest of us bravely join in.
This year's Progressive Dinner will begin at 6:00 pm on Saturday, December 6th. Our three host homes for appetizers, dinner and dessert are a secret until the very last minute.
Because this event was a sell-out within hours after the invitation was sent last year, begin watching your email the first week of November. We can only accommodate 45-50 guests at each home and we always have a wait-list.
If you love this event as much as I do and would enjoy assisting me in the planning, please give me a call at 989-5871 and leave your name/telephone # or email me at KathyisL84AD8@aol.com.
Kathy Scales Brown
Call for Entries “First Come, First Hung” Exhibition
SullivanMunce Cultural Center is pleased to announce the dates for their “First Come, First Hung” exhibition. The exhibition is exactly what the name implies: the first forty artists through the doors on Saturday, November 15, 2014 will automatically be accepted into this popular exhibit that allows both the amateur and the professional artist the opportunity to showcase their talent in our galleries December 6 through December 20, 2014.
- Entry Date: Saturday, November 15, 10 am-Noon- for the first 40 artists in line.
- FREE for Members /$15 for Adult Non-Members
- FREE for artists ages 17 and under
- All types, styles and mediums are accepted – oil, watercolors, photography, sculpture, graphics, ceramics, stitchery, textiles, quilts, hand painted decorative items, etc.
- All work must be original and each artist is required to submit his or her own work in person.
- Only one submission per artist will be accepted.
- The largest size piece we can accept is 4’ x 5’.
- All 2D artwork must be framed (with the exception of gallery wrapped canvas), wired and ready to hang. No exceptions.
- All works may be made available for sale. When pricing, please be aware that the artist receives 70% of the sale, SMCC retains 30% commission. Sold pieces must remain on display through the conclusion of the exhibit.
- Artists are asked to pick up their work on Saturday, December 20, 2014, between the hours of 11 AM and 3 PM unless other arrangements are made with the Art Center Director.
- People’s Choice Awards ($50 adult, $50 youth categories) are presented by SullivanMunce Cultural Center
Entry Date: SATURDAY, November 15, 2014 10 AM - Noon
Opening: SATURDAY, December 6, 2014 10 AM - 4 PM
Exhibit Dates: SATURDAY, December 6-December 20 During Regular Business Hours